About Alexa in Canada
Alexa in Canada is a resource run by me, Teri Fisher, to help you get the most out of your voice-activated personal digital assistant, Alexa… in Canada.
Through this blog, I hope to help you take advantage of Alexa and make your life more relaxing, organized, stress-free, and entertaining… just by saying that one simple word – “Alexa!”
Who is Teri?
And how does he know about this stuff?
Ok, I admit it. I’m a bit of a technology geek (ok, maybe a lot). Internet, website, videos, mobile computing, podcasts, and voice technology, to name a few. You name it. I love learning about it and experimenting with how it can make my life easier.
In fact, my first foray into digital assistants was way back in the 90’s! When the first “digital assistants” came out, I was dying to get my hands on one. I finally got a Casio digital diary and I could not believe the technology that I was holding in my hand. Now when I think back to those times, and how far technology has come, I can’t believe I actually had to type on that thing!
Next came the Palm Pilot (black and white)! With the stylus!! Remember that? Writing on that thing with the stylus was like magic to me.
Then came the colour version of the Palm Pilot, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
I soon got a Palm Treo and for the first time I had a calendar, contact list, AND cell phone in one device! I just couldn’t believe it.
Then, Apple rocked our world and I scooped up an iPhone. Now this was taking magic to whole other level. I was blown away by the technology in THAT little device.
Then came the next iPhone, and the next, and the next (you know how it goes!). And somewhere along the way Siri made her appearance. I still use Siri to this day.
But Amazon Alexa has changed everything…
As I said, I love technology and I love to show people how it can make our lives more fun and stress-free! My “day job” is as a Sport & Exercise Physician, with close to 10 years experience helping people to get active, fit, and healthy. Put technology and health together and… don’t even get me started!
I am also a licensed high school science teacher, with a grand total of 2 months experience as a student-teacher. Seriously. I got my teaching degree and then got into medical school, so I never actually taught in a high school, but…
I LOVE teaching and I get to teach medical students, residents, and practising physicians. I try to incorporate technology whenever possible into the teaching that I do.
Now, with this website I have the opportunity to share my love of technology (and specifically Amazon Alexa) and help break it down into very simple, teachable components for everyone! That means you!
When I’m not teaching about Alexa’s latest skills, I am trying to keep up with my beautiful, active wife and my 2 wonderful young children. We love to be outside and experience adventures together as a family. Our summer highlight is always going on a camping trip with a bunch of friends to Alice Lake in BC. What can I say? The place rocks!
If you’re just dying to know more, read on…
(And if you already know these things, you probably don’t need to be reading this page! No. Actually I know you don’t need to be reading this page.)
1. I am a musician. I grew up playing the violin and then I rebelled in high school and took up the drums. I still love playing… the drums. Oh, and on the topic of music, if you have any tips on how to get my kids to practise the piano, I’m all ears.
2. Some adventure races are fun! I’ve done 3 Spartan Races… but the Tough Mudder scares me. There’s something about running through a field of live wires and getting electrocuted that doesn’t really sound like fun. Call me crazy.
3. I coach my son’s and daughter’s hockey team. I LOVE this. I still remember those days when Parents against kids was a walk in the park. Now after one on those games, I’m just happy if I leave the ice with my limbs intact.
4. While going to McGill University, I as given the title of “Beer God”. Now, hold on… It’s not what you think. I was not a drinker, so I was given the responsibility of being in charge of selling the beer in our residence. This seemed like a good idea at the time… until I had people banging on my door at 3am, wanting to buy a beer.
5. I was once benched while playing baseball because I was looking UNDER (yes, you read that right) 3rd base while the ball was hit in the air towards me. It’s a long story… I’ll tell it to you sometime. Coach not impressed + me being embarrassed = benched.
6. I own a pair of 1 inch heels. (I can’t believe I actually just wrote those words LOL). I took Ballroom Dancing in university (which I loved), and for the Latin dances (i.e. Samba, Jive, Cha-Cha, etc.) guys wear heels. Who knew? Now you do.
7. My favourite chocolate is Reese Peanut Butter Cups. There is just something about peanut butter and chocolate together that makes ooey-gooey goodness that can’t be beat.
8. I’m a big kid at heart. When there is some type of gathering with adults and kids, I can often be found playing baseball with the kids. You might as well put me at the “kids table” if we ever get together.
9. I love my family. My wife and my kids are my life. I drop anything to be with them if they need me. (and note to self… a mismatched sock does NOT count as a family emergency. Don’t ask.)
10. I love creating websites, recording podcasts, discovering new Alexa skils, editing videos, taking photographs, and using my creativity to put projects together. And sometimes… just sometimes.. they actually turn out half-decent! 🙂
I sincerely hope you enjoy the blog, and if you’re reading this, I thank you so much for your support.
More than anything, please use content here as a starting point and inspiration to get the most out of Alexa!
Let’s learn some new skills!